Monday, October 15, 2007

the way we protect ourselves from the world outside

Today I forgot my iPod at home. Not that I cannot live without it, but somehow, the long ride on the subway doesn't seem that long when I have it with me. Union Square is just an episode from Friends or Sex and The City away from Elmhurst. But today the ride seemed so much longer. I didn't even have a book with me. Usually I have a book and my iPod so that when I read the book, I can still listen to music. I wonder if the outside world harasses us so much at some point that we have to block it somehow? Why is it that when I come home, even at night, I feel so much better if I listen to music on my iPod? Could it be that this way, I'm not acknowledging the world outside and I just linger in my own "protected" universe?

No comments: