Friday, June 20, 2008

How do you know when you find your place?

One of my all time best friends told me that he's still looking for a place to fall in love with and remain there for the rest of his life. Do we actually feel the same about places, as we do about people? I moved to NY because I was sure that NY was my One, The One. And it was totally love at first sight. It was probably the city I was meant to be born in, but somehow God got distracted and sent me to Romania. But now, living in Rio, I think I found my lover. I feel as if New York is my One and Rio is a lover I go to when I get bored of old New York. Can it be that we have more than one great love in this world (at least when it comes to cities) and if it's possible to love two places equally at the same time for different reasons, why are we so unwilling to accept that when it comes to people?



Some people settle for what they have. They receive and welcome the city they were born in and never go searching for the one, just as they settle for some random person to spend the rest of their life with. Cato has been around the world at least a few times. There's almost no country on the map that he has not visited and still he is searching for the one. I guest you could call him restless, but I would just call him a man that doesn't give up. Ok, maybe he is a little picky, but on the other hand, what's wrong with being picky when you make a decision for life?

Somehow I was sure that New York would be my great love, I knew it even before I set foot on JFK, but Rio is definitely a great love too. Or could it be just a crush? No, I think Amsterdam was a crush, but Rio, Rio has to be love. After New York, it's the only city where I'd like to live, I love the people, I love the sights, the food, the language...I love it all. I think Rio might be my second great love!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have never thought about a city this way. It intrigues and stirs me! In my heart I've always known I'd be a traveler of cities and places and people but to find your great love in a city and then even more so to have the possibility of having another is absolutely grand. As with names, this has opened yet another door in my mind to what life has to give us if we only shoot for the stars.

The idea of sharing this feeling not only for cities but for people themselves is also shooting for the stars, for it begins to touch unlimited love, which is the grandest form of love you can create. Very powerful stuff duashin.

ryuaan